Saturday, February 23, 2013

juliet13689@gmail.com

Being a Fan of Obstacle Course Racing As a Child

by Rob Sutter

If you grew up during the 90's and watched a lot of Nickelodeon, I think it's safe to say that you had come across several game shows. While you had "Double Dare," which was unquestionably one of the most popular shows in the network's history, there were those which actually rewarded physical prowess. I can name off quite a couple of them and even after all of this time, they stick with me since they are fond memories. Obstacle course racing shows certainly took much of my time.

When it comes to 90's Nickelodeon, I don't think there's a single show that gets it more right than "Guts." It definitely has a place as the cream of the crop when it comes to game shows on that network. It did not waste time with silly graphics, as it was simply a matter of kids facing off in one competition after another in order to take home the prize. "Guts" stands firm in terms of popularity but I don't think I can consider it my absolute favorite.

My <a href="https://twitter.com/SpartanRace/following/">favorite</a> of the bunch has got to be "Legends of the Hidden Temple." Despite the fact that it is absolutely silly by today's standards, I don't think that there's a single Nickelodeon fan that hasn't appreciated or even watched it. It mixed trivia in addition to athletics and being able to get through the temple was a test of intelligence and endurance. In addition, I always thought that the various shirts the competitors wore with colors and animal designs were some of the best.

It seems that people will look at "Legends of the Hidden Temple" and deem it a ripoff of "American Gladiators" but I have an <a href="https://twitter.com/SpartanRace/">argument</a> or two against it. First off, obstacle course racing games such as these are not exactly common on children's networks, so it was made with a different audience in mind. In addition, it has a distinct Mesoamerican theme, the most common aspect being the Olmec Head which serves as the announcer of sorts. It's hard to compare these shows which can possibly grant inspiration to events like Spartan Race.

Nostalgia is one of those aspects that I cannot help but attach myself to. The kinds of shows that I had watched at one time as a child were some of my favorites and it's easy to watch them today and enjoy. However, if I were to go and watch a show that I had little or no connection to when I was younger, it's tougher for me to feel said connection. Regardless, obstacle course racing games are not ones that will go out of style.



Contact <a href="http://www.spartanrace.com/">Spartan Race</a> if you're looking for more information about <a href="http://www.spartanrace.com/spartan-obstacle-racing-events.php">obstacle course racing</a>.. Also published at <a href="http://www.uberarticles.com/home.php?id=1789588&p=52217">Being a Fan of Obstacle Course Racing As a Child</a>.


---------------------------------------------------
You are receiving this because you signed up for it on 2011-08-23 from IP
To fine-tune your selection of which articles to receive, just login here:

http://www.uniquearticlewizard.com/bloggers/

using your username:

To unsubscribe please use the following link:

http://www.uniquearticlewizard.com/unsubscribe.php?mail=kidloveme.huyen@blogger.com&code=b83952f8ca040e326c958cbc4b8fd96e
---------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------
New Unique Article!

Title: Being a Fan of Obstacle Course Racing As a Child
Author: Rob Sutter
Email: seo@fishbat.com
Keywords: spartan race, obstacle course racing, obstacle courses, racing, extreme sport, outdoor races
Word Count: 456
Category: Hobbies
---------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment